April 15, 2014

Blue Skies Ahead


Blue skies and puffy white clouds puts me an introspective, contemplative mood. So when given this photo-realistic Crate Paper Styleboard paper I'm inspired to scrapbook, not a person or an event, but rather a mood, specifically a mood of gentle elation and quiet joy experienced when a longed for wish comes true. In that sense this page is more art journal (although minus any artiness), capturing a feeling rather than the more concrete things in life. Altogether quite fitting given the source of inspiration is something atmospheric.      

c5


The idea of using a library pocket structure comes from this layout by Nicole Samuels. I orientate the white clouds on the bottom and add a border strip to anchor the pocket, allowing an expanse of blue sky to stretch upwards. Next comes a tumbling mass of paper layers, anything from tags to slide frames and labels to tickets. All of them cascading out from the pocket in the direction of the title and amongst all that is a photo, sitting squarely in the middle of the page, serving to as a still point of focus and balance.  In terms of colour, the soft turquoise expanse of sky allows me to use quite a lot of black on my page. Something which is normally difficult to do as black is such an over-powering non-colour.     

d3

 
While early adopters are showcasing the latest and greatest in terms of scrapbooking fonts i.e. the Kal Barteski style brush script, I'm not quite so trendy. Instead the font for my title is Thirsty Rough by Yellow Design Studio, one whose medium distress texture captures a letterpress quality. And speaking of titles, you'll notice I inverted the order of the words "soar above Cloud9" so that the typography better fits the design just as I reversed the order of sky and cloud on the pocket. 
  
e3


In conversation with a photographer, I was asked what is the strongest impression I wish to convey with my project photos. When I said a sense of impactful layering, he suggested adding shadows in my shots to emphasise the separation between layers and to bring out a sense of depth. True enough as I woke up early and tried working with a raking, morning light, my layout gained a more three dimensional look.     
  
b4


So I gathered a handful of Citrus Twist Kit embellishments and experimented some more with directional light and the use of shadows, finally working out that by the glass doors, in my living room, at 9am, on a sunny day, the light reaches the perfect sweet spot. The only downside is that my cat, who has to be turned away from his favourite snapping spot, became slightly annoyed with me that morning.


Citrus Twist April Kits : Crate Paper Style Board (Daydream, Inspiration, Polaroid Frames), Basic Grey Capture Today, Studio Calico Lemon Lush (Flighty, Vellum Labels), Amy Tangerine Plus One Die-Cut Tags, American Crafts DIY Shop Chalk Badges, Prima Wire Thread, Citrus Twist Stamps, Cardstock Brown Sugar, vellum. Others : Amy Tangerine Plus One 6x6 Paper Pad, Basic Grey Snippets (Highline, Capture)

7 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

So much great structure to this! I love the faux pocket and how everything tucks in.

Joy said...

This is gorgeous my friend, I adore everytime I visit her as your work is just exceptional, hugs

Cassandra aka Scrap Savvy said...

You have done it again! Such a wonderful card. I love your sense of style, design and your details!:)

wendipooh13 said...

ohhh gorgeous page!! LOVE all your pretty layers and soft feel!!!!!

Sandi Clarkson said...

This is just amazing What a great design!

Kat said...

wow! I love, love, LOVE this layout!

Denise van Deventer said...

Soooo beautiful! So clean and so effective! Absolutely love it! ;-)