June 19, 2013

Getting Messier


Having successfully completed one creative stamping layout, I am ready to tackle a more ambitious one. Instead of going with my usual pattern paper background I will attempt to create my own stamped background. The linen colour ink and grey cardstock in this month's Citrus Twist Main Kit are my starting points for this project.


I ink up some fine mesh wire screen and stamp in a stepped pattern across the cardstock. Next I gather all the Citrus Twist exclusive word stamps on an acrylic block and roughly apply it on top of the grid pattern. The result is that of an uneven texture with none of the words being visible to distract the viewer.


With the background in place I turn to the main design which is based on this sketch by French designer Maska. It comprises two embellished clusters : one around the photo, the other around the journaling. To link these two elements together I use Wycinanka chipboard film strips.


To soften the layout I use embroidery floss to stitch two semi-circles and then put some white gauze around each slide frame. The last step is to apply splatter paint effect to tie everything together. A shakey hand means there is a bit more black than I would like on this tag but I am OK with it. Playing with ink, mist and paint should look a little messy.


Citrus Twist June Kit : Studio Calico (Atlantic Plymouth, Sundrifter Die-Cut Shapes), Crate Paper The Pier (Slide Frames, Splash), Basic Grey Basics Candy Buttons, Sticker Stop Washi Tape, Prima Pastel Brown Chalk Ink, Citrus Twist Exclusive Stamp, white gauze, grey cardstock,
Others : Wycinanka chipboard words & film strip, buttons, embroidery floss 

27 comments:

Jinny Newlin said...

Swoon! This is absolutely stunning, Sandy! LOVE all the textures and layers, and the earth-tone palette is divine! WOW!

TeenaBugg38 said...

it turned out awesome!!!

Mihaela said...

So beautiful project!!!

Sandra Dietrich said...

This is awesome!!!

Ira Huberts said...

Gorgeous LO Sandy, love all those fine layers, really lovely!
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Grethe said...

WOW! This is so beautiful! And playfull!

Love it!

Lizzy Hill said...

ABSOLUTELY it should look messy...gorgeous page, Sandy...really like your bg & that frame...YUMMY!!!!!!!!!

Lizzy Hill said...

...oh, & I meant to say...LOVING the handstitched circles:):)

Teresa said...

Really gorgeous! You still amaze me :) Hugs...

chillin with Quillin said...

awesome layout, love all the embelishments and the colors !!!!
Paula

Ros Crawford said...

Beautiful layering and your background is fabulous!

Shumaila Hussain Shahani said...

Hey! I like your blog. Follow for follow? Follow me and leave a comment I will follow back for sure =)
Schimi's Espace: http://schimisespace.blogspot.com/

zuziucha said...

Such a pretty layout. Congratulations on Wycinanka DT. It will be a great pleasure to work with you.

Ashley Calder said...

LOVE this page! The design is awesome, and the layering and white messiness is just too good.

SamSam said...

super super super love this, Sandy. And take care =) hate the horrible haze in Msia and Singapore now.

DeeDee Catron said...

HI Sandy! Sharing your layout on the Paper Issues blog today :)

Ciri said...

Wow! This work is so beautifull!

Sanna Lippert said...

this is gorgeous! and congrats on your Wycinanka team assignment - I´m very much looking forward to working together with you for the next 12 months :)!!

Cindy Gay said...

Great dimension Sandy!

alexandra s.m. said...

Fabulous page Sandy!
I love everyting about it!
Thank You! You rock!!

Janna Werner said...

This is so so beautiful!!

Mira said...

wow! I love it soooo much!

Manda Moore said...

Sandy this is so beautiful, I just love it

Keri said...

Amazing colors, layering, and design here, Sandy...I love it all, this is a new favorite for me! :)

Monique Liedtke said...

Wow Sandy! This is just stunning! LOVE your background and the design of your page!!

integra said...

wow! awewsome work! really love this LO!

Jodie said...

Gorgeous layout x love your blog and work and thanks for visiting mine and for your lovely comment xxx