April 10, 2013

Inspired by Quilts


This is my second layout using the Citrus Twist April Add-On kit. Inspired by the mixing and matching of fabric patterns in a quilting book I'm reading, I start by filling half the page diagonally with a cascade of overlapping triangles.


My title, journalling and photo are grouped together on the other half of the page. I wove a circle garland around a softly fluttering banner and anchored the end with a flair button. This forms the base of a visual triangle with it's apex being the pink and red brads. It brings the two halves of the page together and introduces a softening element against the straight lines and hard angles.


Despite sharing the same Glitz Design Uncharted Waters supplies the mood of this page is very different that of my Feeling Playful layout. Although there is an emphasis here on the different shades of blues, I've been much more adventurous in my colour palette and in the scattering of colour across the page.


I have just tiny bits of the Glitz Design Damask paper left over after my two layouts and decide to try making something unexpected with them. Hope you'll come back on Monday when I'll share the tutorial for a fun fashion accessory.


Linking up to these parties.

Citrus Twist April Add-On Kit : Glitz Designs Uncharted Waters (Waves, Damask, Paper Garland), Studio Calico Snippets Epoxy Brads, Dear Lizzy Lucky Charm (Wild Hearts, Starlight), MME Collectables Unforgettable You Are Tiny Wood Stickers. others : grey cardstock

12 comments:

Ashley Calder said...

Very cool!!

Miriam Prantner said...

I always love your layouts, there is always something unexpected. Love how the garland contrasts with the sharper lines/angles of the triangles!

Ros Crawford said...

This is really fabulous ... always beautifully done ...

SamSam said...

love love love this layout! so inspiring Sandy!

SamSam said...

love love love this layout! so inspiring Sandy!

Monique Liedtke said...

What a great technique Sandy!! LOVE your page! Going to pin it!!

Ira Huberts said...

That is one supercool page Sandy, it´s almost mathematical, so pretty!
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

MiaW said...

this is cute, love the trianges and the ppr.

Stella said...

Where do you get all your amazing ideas? This is gorgeous; love the design and use of triangles. The circle garland you added is a wonderful addition. Wow!

Audrey Frelx said...

Hi, Sandy, I really like that Citrus Twist paper -- so pretty; however, you're laying using it is amazing!!! Love how you overlapped and put it all together! I can see to how you were inspired by a quilt!

Jessica said...

Pretty cool idea with the triangles!

Holly Shaw said...

Holly @ Haleighanna's Hands

I love it when skills and worlds overlap! Using your sewing in your scrapbook layout is beautiful. You mixed your media together beautifully. Have you tried adding touches of acrylic paint?