January 19, 2013

Aquarius Baby


Scrapping with embellishments is fun, but how much of a challenge would it be for me to scrap only with embellishments ? Since I'm a pattern paper girl at heart and almost never use cardstock on my layouts, this is an intriguing question. Here's how I did for this out-of-my-comfort zone project using the Citrus Twist January Embellie kit.


The main trick about using embellishments, for me, is to get the scale of things right. I start by resizing my photo to 4"x5" to work with the Dear Lizzy 5th & Frolic tags. Three of these layered and placed below the photo creates the base of a visual triangle.


A blue flair button from Paper Play Studio, pinned to the baby's shirt, leads the eye up to the tip of the visual triangle which is where I place my title. Next I print out a large block of journaling on transparency which allows me to be create a tilted, misaligned look. To prevent the words from falling off the the page, I helm them in with a long label sticker and the top of another tag.


This mini-layout measuring 7"x9" is now ready to be mat onto more cream cardstock. It seems to be floating on the page so I anchor it with a band of diagonal stripes which also acts to mirror the direction of the baby's gaze.


 How did I fare with this challenge ? I incorporated six embellishments, used a couple of journal cards and a snippet of 6x6 paper (that number 2 bingo card). I did include one pattern paper on the page but since it's a relatively simple black stripe I'm happy to let that go and consider this design exercise a success.

Linking up to these parties.

Citrus Twist Janaury Kits : Crate Paper On Trend Style & Phrase Sticker, Dear Lizzy 5th & Frolic 6x6 Paper & Tags, Paper Play Studio Flair Button, Echo Park Today's Story Hello & Amazing. Others : cream cardstock

20 comments:

CuddlyBunny said...

A HUGE success Sandy! Amazing design!

Charlene said...

I think you did a fabulous job on this challenge!!!! Wonderful design :-)

Celestial Charms said...

So very beautiful!
Maureen

Cindy Gay said...

Love the photo and diagonal design. Great title too.

Annette said...

wow Sandy you are so amazing..this is gorgeous.

Jann Olson said...

I think you did an awesome job. Love it! And oh that babies face, precious!
hugs,
Jann

Ros Crawford said...

Beautiful!!! and what a gorgeous photo!

Ira Huberts said...

Oh I just love that photo and how you've used it in your gorgeous LO!
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

chillin with Quillin said...

Awesome layout and what a cute baby!!!
Paula

alexandra s.m. said...

Your pages are always breathtaking!
This is no exception! I also really enjoyed and appreciate your take on constructing your page. Scale is indeed so important and tricky sometimes...thank you for inspiring me and enlightening me!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Beautiful layout...love the unique design, you are just good at everything!!!!

Denise Price said...

Wonderful design work--it has a cool graphic vibe!

Heather McMahon said...

Well done Sandy. You succeeded in your aim plus I adore the colours you used!

Meeha Meeha said...

Baby, baby, you drive me crazy (in a good way)! Lovely composition, Sandy, as always, I love the round pin and the cut-out "Life" sign - very handsome!

Jona Panesa said...

so lovely. you will enjoy playing with embellishments. I miss visiting your blog. love your pages!

DesignedByBH said...

I love the tags. I like the fact that the design is simple, yet intriguing. (Sorry if I spelled that wrong!) Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain said...

So cute--love the striping in the background!

Christie Bryant said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! I totally want to scrap-lift this layout! Amazing!!

Chrissy Jordan said...

I have been stashing (hoarding) scrapbooking materials for years now... and I just can't seem to get it together to do anything with it.

I'm going to totally stalk your blog now! haha

I'd love it if you would share this on my Friday link-up party!!
http://www.parloandlogi.com/fi-tfriday9/

Tamika said...

I love the gray with a hint of blue and the large title adorable baby page!