January 16, 2013

All Wrapped Up


With Valentine's day only a month away, I'm inspired to create this layout about my cousin's baby on a day out with his mother at the newest park in Singapore : Gardens by the Bay. The page resembles a gift-wrapped present complete with candy-cane coloured ribbon (from May Arts) and gift tags.


It's based on a Citrus Twist sketch by Kaisa. To create a better flow I flipped the sketch horizontally, placing an embellishment cluster on the left just below the mother's shoulder and the title on the right as though the baby is reaching out for the word "Love".


I've used colour strategically to create a progression leading the eye to the centrally placed photo. I begin with two greens in the background, then a series of pink patterns and finally pops of powder blue frame the picture. The flag tails of the sketch is replaced with handwritten journaling more of which is hidden on the heart-shaped tag tucked on top of the photo.


After several clean and simple layouts, it feels good to embellish a page and I might have gone a tad overboard, layering a turquoise button - just love the verdigris patina giving it a gently distressed look - on top of fussy cut flowers, foliage, a label and a pearl push-pin (the only thing not from Citrus Twist's Janaury kits).


What is it about the January kits that is inspiring me to create layouts with baby photos ? Could it be the soft pastels ? I'll have another one to share with you on Saturday.  

Linking up to these parties.

Citrus Twist January Kits :  Dear Lizzy 5th & Frolic (6x6 paper pad, Dreamy Drive), Echo Park Today's Story (Hello , Amazing), Pebbes Family Phrase Cards,  Crate Paper On Trend Style, Heidi Swapp Vintage Chic Bookkeeping, Basic Grey Lucille Vintage Buttons,  Kit Packaging Tag, sapphire embroidery floss, May Arts pink & fuchsia striped ribbon. Others : Maya Road Trinket Pins Vintage Pearl Dark Brown

9 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

This is such a pretty layout! Love your embellishment cluster and paper choices!

Maria said...

Beautiful layout, Sandy!! I lve the colors and the design.

noomiy said...

That's awesome work!

weissbunt said...

Don't get to read and write much at the moment, but I just had to tell you how much I love your current work. The colors, the layering - right down my alley - so beautiful :-)

Charlene said...

Beautiful Sandy!! I love the colors and the picture is adorable!

CuddlyBunny said...

Gorgeous! Your creations always feel so PERFECT!

paperANDi - Stephanie said...

Wonderful layout, Sandy! I always love staring at all your projects!

Geri said...

LOVE the colors...your embellishments...and the whole beautiful layout, Sandy!

Brandi said...

Wow! This layout and the colors are fabulous!