December 10, 2012

Fifty Percent


Most of the time my design process starts with the photo as it determines what story to tell and what products work in the telling of that story. However this Citrus Twist layout is one of those instance when the photo came last in the process. In fact almost any photo of my nephew could have worked. Here's how it happened.


The starting point is when I saw Nicholas Felton's info-graphic work. He authors annual reports that capture various statistical aspects of his life : travel, food, music etc. In particular this pie-chart sparks the idea of using one in a layout to tell the story of my nephew's mixed nationality.

credit : Nicholas Felton

I printed an 8" circle on transparency with the words 50% American and 50% Singaporean. Baker's twine is used to segment the circle and white cardstock (with the word LOOK cut out from it) is placed underneath the transparency for contrast.


Next I cluster the photo, the title sticker and some hand-cut branches into a triangle placed to the right of the pie chart. The result is a satisfying design in that the circle is firmly anchored by these 'heavier' elements  and that the page is divided into two visual triangles.


This is going into a page protector, wrapped up and then placed under the tree as a Christmas present for my sister to add to her family album. 


Linking up to these parties.

Citrus Twist Dec Kits: Dear Lizzy 5th & Frolic Autumn Avenue, Kaisercraft Check In Delayed, Studio Calico Yearbook Most Likely, Basic Grey Paper Cottage Flair Stickers, Crate Paper On Trend Stand Outs, Amy Tangerine Journal Thickers, Doodlebug Beetle Black Twine, My Mind's Eye All is Bright Noel Banner, White Cardstock 

12 comments:

~amy~ said...

I love it!!!

Maria said...

Super cool layout, Sandy!! Love it!! :)

Natalёk said...

I love it!

Wishful Thinking said...

What a beautiful LO Sandy. I am sure your sister will be thrilled to find that under the tree! (I know I would be!) :-)

Heather McMahon said...

Oh this is so cool Sandy! What a fabulous idea! I love it!

Marlene said...

Loving your layout Santdy, like how you used the bakers twine.
xxx
Marlene

♥ mojosanti designs ♥ said...

This layout is amazing. I love the circle in the background. AWESOME!!!

Jessica said...

wow, the circle is stunning!!

Gretchen said...

very cool layout Sandy!

Ashley Horton said...

Love your page and use of the twine! Thanks for linking up with us @ Paper Issues!

Scrap Your Story said...

Your use of twine on this is amazing!!!! If you have a chance check out the new scrapbooking blog starting up. Your layouts would be a great fit for the coming challenges and you might enjoy the inspiration!! :) :) ScrapYourStory.blogspot.com :) :) :)

Polina Khoronko said...

Excellent! Thanks for idea, i use it for my layout too - for name of my daughter.
http://scrapolio.blogspot.ru/2013/04/100.html